One day after Israeli and U.S. defense ministers finalized a $10 billion sale of American military equipment to Israel, Maj. Gen. (ret.) Amos Yadlin, the former director of Military Intelligence, addressed the Iranian nuclear threat on Tuesday saying, “We are headed toward a collision course by the end of this year.”
By this summer, the Iranians will certainly cross the “red line” drawn by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during his speech last year at the United Nations, Yadlin said, speaking at a conference organized by Tel Aviv University’s Institute for National Security Studies (INSS), which he now heads.
Yadlin added that he believes Israel is capable of attacking Iran’s nuclear facilities without outside assistance, and that Israel can withstand the repercussions of such action. He said Iran could reach a “breakthrough” within two months, and added that the Islamic Republic’s upcoming elections (in June) mark a turning point for the country.
“We have about two months to sleep soundly, until the elections,” Yadlin said. “After that, I believe the Iranians will have to make a difficult decision.”
The full text is available for subscribers & registered users.
Tuesday, 23 April 2013
Posted @ 08:49