Saturday 26 December 2009

Natural Born Killers

As soon as the slaughter began, I avoided it–meaning the internet–like the plague. I had already been through it before–a thousand times at least–and knew if I was to keep what little sanity I had left I simply could not do it, meaning looking at the photos, and particularly those of innocent kids being shot and blown to pieces.

It’s not that I’m the typical callous, stupid American who would rather see Britney Spears wiggling and jiggling herself to pieces in some new music video than the real-life suffering of real-life others. Rather, it is the other direction–I’m over-sensitive to it and for the easy-to-understand reason that those pictures look just like any one my 9 kids. Just about every boy or girl–Palestinian, Lebanese, Iraqi or whatnot–is a spitting image to one of mine, and not by accident, but due to the fact that the blood running through the veins of my kids and those kids in the Middle East is the same.

And then, by accident, I stumbled across one without warning. I couldn’t take my eyes away from it because the little boy looks (looked) just like my little boy, with his brown hair and dark, almond-shaped eyes endemic to the Arabs of Palestine and Lebanon where part of my family comes from. His eyes were open and his face was serene, as if the last thing he was looking at before someone snapped the picture was the smiling face of God welcoming him to paradise.

The only thing differentiating the little boy in the photo and my little boy is that this little boy whose name I do not know had a bullet hole right in the middle of his small chest, a gift given to him personally by one of the Goddamned Jews. More

While there:

Bloodshed In Gaza and Beyond–Israel’s National Orgasm

The Hanukah Massacre on Gaza–Judaism in its Finest Hour

No comments: